Friday, June 10, 2016

rambling thoughts . . .

Here we are, it is Friday! 
My thoughts for the weekend are really kind or rambling today so forgive me if I don’t make any sense. . . 
In the past week I have observed some rather interesting behaviors in people.
Keeping up with the Joneses . . . according to Wikipedia,  this is an idiom in many parts of the English-speaking world referring to the comparison to one's neighbor as a benchmark for social class or the accumulation of material goods. To fail to "keep up with the Joneses" is perceived as demonstrating socio-economic or cultural inferiority.  
Those are some big words.
I think of it more like that dumb song “anything you can do I can do better”
Why?
Why do we have to be so competitive?
I stopped posting a lot of new things on FaceBook because it felt like if I got something new, I got snarky remarks about it. 
For example, when we bought my husband a new jeep a year or so back.  I posted a picture of him and his new jeep on FB with a “happy birthday honey” and some silly thing about me being the best wife ever . . .
I had people just shredding me – from comments like why would I post that, was I trying to make this person feel bad because I got something new, to comments about if you have so much money you should buy me this, or this.
Honestly it hurt my feelings.   We work very hard for our money, we budget our spending carefully and plan on our purchases – especially the bigger ones.
Why can’t people just be happy for others when good stuff happens?
Which brings me to my next little ramble/rant . . .
Why can’t people just be happy for others?
I see a lot of people just ranting about stuff – and then they turn around and do the same thing.  
For example – one person had a fit because people were posting beach pictures, she threatened to unfriend them, yet when she is at the beach, guess what she is posting?
Another had a complete come apart because someone posted their reaction to an episode of a tv show – and this person had not seen the show.  The following week, same person different show, posted a spoiler.
::sigh::
Come on people . . .
At the end of the day, is it going to matter if you have an iPhone9 or a million dollar house, or if your neighbor has more chickens than you do?
Is it going to matter if you missed your favorite show and someone else got to watch it?
God’s words says that we are to love one another, not be envious and petty and mean.
So when someone gets something that they want and they are happy with it, whether it is a car, a phone, a tattoo, a house, a promotion, a baby, a star named after them, their masters degree in the art of watching grass grow . . .  just be happy for them.
Please?


Have a blessed weekend! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

peace

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be a...