Sunday, June 12, 2016

Are you Salty?

“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.  “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.  Therefore anyone who sets aside one of the least of these commands and teaches others accordingly will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever practices and teaches these commands will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.
- Matthew 5:13-20

If you attend church with me at Rogers Christian Church, today’s blog is going to sound familiar to you.  I appreciate our Pastor Zach, his sermon really touched me today and I asked his permission to quote him in this blog (thanks, Zach!).
What is the health of your faith?  I challenge you to do some exploratory surgery on your spirit as you read this.
I have often told people that with me, what you see is what you get.  I am the same person whether I am at work, at church, at home or on Dickson street during bikes, blues and BBQ.  I don’t change who I based on who is around. What you see is what you get – this is the real deal of Kitty Matz.
If we as Christ followers are going to change the world, we have to be the real deal.  Jesus said that we are the salt of the earth.  To be the salt of the earth you have to be authentic.
Ask yourself these two simple questions:
      1. If you were accused of being a Christ-follower, would there be enough evidence to convict you?
      2. Outside your family or people that attend church with you, who would identify you as a Christ –follower?
Are there impurities in your faith? Don’t try to appear perfect because no one likes a phony.
Long ago when theater first started, they didn’t have microphones to amplify their voice, so in order to be heard, actors would don masks with megaphones built in.  The Greeks referred to the actors as hypocrites, people who wear a mask, who pretend to be someone they are not.
We must clean ourselves from the inside, not just put a coat of paint on the outside.  Let Christ in!  He changes you from the inside. People are skeptical of others because many hide things.  What makes us different?  What makes us a good influence?  We want to see people who surrender everything to God, not a mask.
A salty life is a life that is marked by its authenticity, that has been submitted in full to Jesus, and that recognizes Jesus is the hero.
Salt is always best when it comes into contact with other things, adding flavor and value.  Salt makes you thirsty.
So now ask yourself this last question: Am I living my life in a way that makes people thirsty for Jesus?  Or am I sitting on the table never doing anything? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

peace

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be a...