Tuesday, May 2, 2023

a tiny flame

This is why I remind you to help God’s gift grow, just as a small spark grows into a fire.

- 2 Timothy 1:6a (NIRV)

 

Are you old enough to remember the commercials with an animated bear (Smokey) saying “only you can prevent forest fires”?

He was a real bear who was caught in a fire in the Capitan Mountains of New Mexico in 1950, he survived the major wildfire with badly burned paws and hind legs.

Fire crews removed him from the charred tree where he had taken refuge from the fire and was transported to Santa Fe for treatment of his burns. 
The New Mexico state game warden wrote to the chief of the Forest Service and the little cub wen to live in the National Zoo in Washington DC, the living symbol of Smokey the Bear, dedicated to a conservation and wildfire prevention program. 
There is a point to me sharing this story, bear with me (humor). 
Wildfires can start with a tiny spark and soon spread over hundreds of thousands of acres of land. 
Nearly every year we hear about communities being evacuated due to the dangerous flames and smoke. 
We are nearing the summer camping season, many will be heading out for adventures in the woods or at the lake and on the chillier nights, a campfire is nice. 
With some kindling, a spark and hope that the spark catches, you fan the flame, add some more wood until you have a blazing fire going to keep you warm or cook your meals while you camp.

The point to the story is here: imagine that the Spirit of God is that fire. 
The band Unspoken released a song in 2014 called “Start a Fire”, check out the lyrics:

This world can be cold and bitter

Feels like we're in the dead of winter

Waiting on something better

But am I really gonna hide forever?

Over and over again

I hear Your voice in my head

Let Your light shine, let Your light shine for all to see

Start a fire in my soul

Fan the flame and make it grow

So there's no doubt or denying

Let it burn so brightly

That everyone around can see

That it's You, that it's You that we need

Start a fire in me

You only need a spark to start a whole blaze

It only takes a little faith

Let it start right here in this city

So these old walls will never be the same

Over and over again

I hear Your voice in my head

They need to know

I need to go

Spirit won't You fall on my heart now

Start a fire in my soul

Fan the flame and make it grow

So there's no doubt or denying

Let it burn so brightly

That everyone around can see

That it's You, that it's You that we need

Start a fire in me

You are the fire, You are the flame

You are the light on the darkest day

We have the hope, we bear Your name

We carry the news that You have come to save

Only You can save

Start a fire in my soul

Fan the flame and make it grow

So there's no doubt or denying

Let it burn so brightly

That everyone around can see

That it's You, that it's You that we need

Start a fire in me

You are the fire, You are the flame

You are the light on the darkest day

Start a fire in me
Just like forest fires and campfires, we only need a spark to start a whole blaze, a fire in our hearts for God that we can share with the world.  

#dailybreadbykitty

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1167248103736801

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

peace

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be a...