Wednesday, April 5, 2023

thirty pieces of silver

Then one of the Twelve—the one called Judas Iscariot—went to the chief priests and asked, “What are you willing to give me if I deliver him over to you?” So they counted out for him thirty pieces of silver. From then on Judas watched for an opportunity to hand him over.

- Matthew 26:14-16 (NIV)

 

Thirty pieces of silver.

The U.S. Mint stopped making quarters from silver in 1965, and according to the NGC Price Guide, as of March 2023, a Washington quarter from 1964 in circulated condition is worth between $4.75 and $7.25. 
So here I am doing math, which the people that know me know I try to not do math, but if we take the high end of $7.25 times 30, that is about $217.50 (if I’m wrong, I warned you, I don’t do math!) 
Would you sell out your best friend for two hundred dollars? 
I hope that everyone answered that question with a resounding “No!” . 

But Judas did. 
Not only did Judas betray Jesus for that bag of silver, he went to the priests and offered to do it! 
Wow, with friends like that we don’t need enemies! 
Jesus was fully aware that this would happen, just as He was aware that Peter would deny Him three times. 
I don’t think I would have hung around with that crowd, since they were so eager to turn their backs on their friend! 
Obviously, it is not quite the extreme, but how many times have you turned your back on a friend? 
Are you still friends? 
Jesus forgave His friends, even knowing that their betrayal would lead to His death. 
Maybe it’s time to ask forgiveness for turning your back on a friend. 
Maybe it’s time to forgive the friend that turned their back on you. 
I’m guessing that the lives of these people are worth more than $217.50. 

#dailybreadbykitty

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1167248103736801

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

peace

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be a...