Thursday, April 6, 2023

symbols

While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when He had given thanks, He broke it and gave it to His disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.” Then He took a cup, and when He had given thanks, He gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”

- Matthew 26:26-29 (NIV)

 

Did you know that in the early days of the church, Christ followers were accused of cannibalism because non-believers heard that they were actually eating a body and drinking blood? 

It’s rather twisted if you think about it, the bread and the wine are merely symbols. 
We continue to use symbols as a point of recognition for us. 
We know what model the car in front of us is by the symbol on the back. 
Everyone is familiar with the red circle with a slash through it as the general prohibition sign or the “no symbol”.
A piece of fruit with a bite out of it tells everyone you are using an iPhone or a Mac computer.  
A wedding ring is a symbol of a vow we make to our spouse.

A cross is a symbol of what Jesus did for you.

I wear my wedding ring as a symbol to others that I am married. 
I have lots of cross necklaces that are a symbol of my faith. 

We even wear badges or name tags as symbols of our employment or position.

Today is the day in the church calendar in which we observe that Jesus had His last meal with His disciples, and He gave us these symbols to remember Him. 
Do you remember Him? 

 

#dailybreadbykitty

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1167248103736801

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

peace

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be a...