Monday, July 15, 2024

this present

Please accept the present that was brought to you. God has given me so much. I have everything I need.

- Genesis 33:11a (NIRV)

 

When we celebrate birthdays, weddings, baby or bridal showers, Mother’s Day or Father’s Day, and Christmas, sometimes the first thing that we think of is presents. 

Some people are hard to buy for, others are so simple.
There are people that will spend hours at stores or online looking for the perfect gift and then there are those who walk through the mall at 3:30pm on Christmas Eve and have gifts for everyone on their list by 4pm. (I am not that person!)
This past weekend was my birthday and among the great cat themed items people brought me, I received a great present, but this one was not purchased at a store or an online retailer.

In fact, this present was the best gift ever.
Can you guess what it is? 
I received the gift of a promised future. 
The promise that I am forgiven. 
The knowledge that I am loved. 
Jacob, after stealing Esau’s birthright, he became quite wealthy according to the standards of the day. 
He owned flocks and flocks of sheep and goats, had a few wives who had given him many children.
Then came the time that he would meet his brother again. 
Knowing that he had cheated his brother of his birthright, and all his wealth should have been Esau’s wealth, Jacob had a legitimate fear that Esau would kill him.
Jacob sent a gift ahead to Esau that he hoped would appease Esau and encourage him to spare his life.
In verse four of Genesis 33, we read “
Esau ran to meet Jacob. He hugged him and threw his arms around his neck. He kissed him, and they cried for joy.”

Esau asked why Jacob sent the herds and Jacob replied, “I hoped I could do something to please you”.
Esau tried to say no, tried to tell Jacob that he did not need to give him such a lavish gift.  
Jacob received many blessings, even after stealing what should have belonged to his brother.
Fast forward thousands of years, and see that God is still giving us everything that we need, no matter what transgressions we commit.
Our God is an amazing God, a loving, forgiving and generous God. 
I didn’t need material items, because God has blessed me with so much, I have everything I need.

 

#dailybreadbykitty

Daily Inspiration from the Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

wise words

People should listen to the quiet words of those who are wise. That’s better than paying attention to the shouts of a ruler of foolish peopl...