Monday, February 11, 2019

give it away


Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
- Luke 6:38

What exactly is “a good measure”?
Well, I googled it (of course I did) and I found many different versions of the phrase, but it all really comes down to the same thing: for good measure is as extra or in addition, to ensure that something is good or successful.
A baker’s dozen, for example is 13, that extra one thrown in “for good measure”.
And who is going to argue that donut or roll # 13 is a bad thing?
So what does this verse really mean?
Well, in my opinion (and that is what my blog is all about – after all it is in the title: dailybreadgodswordmythoughts.blogspot.com) in my opinion this verse tells us that we need to be generous and give.  
I am not talking just about money (although it is good to share your wealth), but I am also talking about your heart, your time, you.
God gives us so much: mercy, grace, forgiveness, love . . . should we not give back?
When you walk down the hall at work, down the street, in the mall or the store and smile at a stranger, you are giving, really, you are!
What if seeing your smile is the only joy that person has encountered that day?
When someone cuts you off in traffic and you forgive them (I admit, I struggle with this a LOT), you are giving – they may not know it but God does!
In line at the drive through, if you “pay it forward”, you are giving.
Do you ever wonder how much you should give?
God never stops giving. . .  so neither should you. 
But don’t worry, you can’t out give God.
Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

peace

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be a...