Thursday, October 21, 2021

gone fishing

When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch.” Simon answered, “Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.” When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break.

- Luke 5:4-6

 

My dad used to take me fishing every weekend from May until September.

I never really understood why, it seemed boring and somewhat cruel when I was little and those who know me absolutely know that I did not have the patience to sit quietly in a boat or on the shore waiting for a bite on the line. 

As I have gotten older, I do understand the sport more and maybe have even gathered a little patience to wait for that bite (but not much!!).

In Jesus’ day they didn’t use fishing poles and hooks, but would go out in boats with huge nets, cast them into the water and draw them back into the boat (hopefully) full of fish. 

As Christ followers, we should be casting our nets, drawing them in full of people that don’t know Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

We’ve all been in a position where we have been afraid to talk about our faith due to potential repercussions, society has made it wrong to share His word.

Just as Simon trusted in Jesus to cast out the nets when they had not caught anything all night, we need to trust Him and cast our nets wide and deep.

We don’t have to turn into “Bible thumpers” to share His word, we just have to live it each day.

People are watching us, every minute of every day – they see us holding open the door for someone, paying it forward in the coffee line, for helping a friend who might just need someone to talk to. 

We don’t have to pray loudly and boast about our good deeds for others to hear.

But we do need to make sure we are following His example so we can draw in the non-believers.

They will know we are Christians by our love.  

 

#dailybreadbykitty

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1167248103736801

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

peace

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be a...