Monday, July 20, 2020

i'm adopted


At that time Moses was born, and he was no ordinary child. For three months he was cared for by his family. When he was placed outside, Pharaoh’s daughter took him and brought him up as her own son.
- Acts 7:20-21

Forty-four years go yesterday, I stood before a judge in a courtroom in Iowa.
The judge asked me who my mom and dad were, I looked at my parents and said “this is my mom and dad”.
He asked me if I loved them and my brother and if I wanted to live with them forever, and I said yes.
The kindly old judge smiled and signed a piece of paper, then told me that these were indeed my parents and I could never be taken away from them.
That is a lot for a seven year old to take in, but really all I knew was that this made my last name the same as theirs.
It was not until many years later that I understood the sacrifices that were made – by my biological parents, by my adoptive parents, by all those involved.
I used to send my adoptive mother roses on my adoption day, but when Alzheimer’s kicked in, it stopped making sense to her.
The fact remains that I was raised knowing that I was chosen and loved.
This verse references the adoption of Moses by the Pharaoh’s daughter, she took him as her own and he was raised as royalty, no question of his heritage or worthiness.  
For nine months I was carried by my biological mother and for six months she cared for me to the best of her ability, but when it became apparent that she would no longer be able to give me my best life she chose to give me to someone that could, much like Moses’ mother.
Moses’ story shows the love and sacrifice made by both his birth and adoptive mothers and clearly shows that adoption is important to God.
God loves His children and wants them to have their best life, we are called to care for one another, every child of every family is loved, no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

peace

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be a...