Wednesday, July 12, 2023

distress

Lord, be gracious to us; we long for you. Be our strength every morning, our salvation in time of distress.

- Isaiah 33:2 (NIV)

 

There is some secular music that I really like. 
Simon and Garfunkel released “Bridge over Troubled Water” in 1970, here are a few of the lyrics: 
When you're weary

Feeling small

When tears are in your eyes

I'll dry them all

I'm on your side

Oh, when times get rough

And friends just can't be found

… Like a bridge over troubled water

I will lay me down

Like a bridge over troubled water

I will lay me down

… When you're down and out

When you're on the street

When evening falls so hard

I will comfort you

I'll take your part

Oh, when darkness comes

And pain is all around

… Sail on silver girl

Sail on by

Your time has come to shine

All your dreams are on their way

See how they shine

Oh, if you need a friend

I'm sailing right behind

… Like a bridge over troubled water

I will ease your mind

Like a bridge over troubled water

I will ease your mind
An article in American Songwriter about a year ago talked about the meaning behind this song, it was actually inspired by and old southern gospel song (1959 “Oh Mary Don’t You Weep” by Swan Silvertones).

The line “Like a bridge over troubled water” is a metaphor for someone living through a trying time in their life, and “I will lay me down” references the sacrifices and perseverance as they find a way through difficulty.

God is our salvation in times of distress, our bridge over troubled water.

We are so lucky.

 

#dailybreadbykitty

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1167248103736801

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

peace

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be a...