Monday, February 7, 2022

take a break

Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

- Exodus 20:9-11 (NKJV)

 

My dad was one of the hardest workers that I ever knew, working 12 hours a day Monday through Friday and half days on Saturdays. 

He was a diesel mechanic and a welder, so it was physical labor, not the sitting behind a desk work like I do. 

Daddy worked inside and outside in the scorching heat of summer and the frigid winds and snows of winter in Iowa, I can only remember one time that he missed work and it was because he had a stroke and the doctor made him take time off.

I believe that I got my work ethic from him, even though I have not done physical labor since the late 80’s/early 90’s, the work I do sitting at a computer sometimes 12-14 hours a day is still physically and emotionally draining.

We have to take a break.

I’ve seen quotes all over the place even on LinkedIn that say “Don’t kill yourself for a job that would replace you within 2 weeks if you dropped dead”. 

Even God took a break.

Even the Roman Emperor Constantine in A.D. 321 wanted to set aside Sunday as a day for rest.

In the 50’s and 60’s no shops were open on a Sunday (I found this on the internet, so I can’t really vouch for accuracy).  

Sundays used to be a day for God and for family, but things changed along the way.

I’ve known people that have worked their whole lives and died shortly before or right after retirement because they focused more on work than themselves. 

People that lose their families to divorce because they spend more time at the office then they do with their family. 

We need to stop.

Even God rested.

What good are we to our loved ones if we are dead?

God rested on the seventh day.

Your boss will replace you, your family can’t.

Take the day off, go to church, praise God and thank God and then spend a quite day with your family.

It’s worth it.

 

#dailybreadbykitty

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1167248103736801

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

peace

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be a...