Thursday, April 22, 2021

poor

Those who give to the poor will lack nothing, but those who close their eyes to them receive many curses.

- Proverbs 28:27

 

“Homeless, hungry, anything helps.  God Bless”

We see people holding signs like that at busy intersections all across the country, at entrances to shopping centers and even at gas stations.

In 2019 the figure given for homelessness in the US was a staggering 567,715 individuals and I am sure it has increased since the pandemic as so many people lost their jobs as a result of social distancing due to Covid 19. 

In a 2017 survey it was revealed that 94% of panhandlers do use the funds they receive from donations to purchase food they need and only 3% of panhandlers do not want some form of permanent housing. 

So how do you know when you see that person holding a sign that they are one of the 94% that are legitimately homeless and in need?

You don’t.

There will always be people that try to take advantage of the generous nature of others.

So how do we determine to whom we should give our help so that we follow the word of God?

I believe we should listen for His voice. 

Many times when I see someone holding a sign, I will say “God, what do I do here?” and often I hear Him say “help them”.

I have been known to buy groceries or a meal and my husband has taken people to the gas station and filled their vehicle with gas. 

We may not always hear God’s voice telling us to help specific individuals or we may simply not be comfortable handing them money or speaking with them, but there are other ways to help. 

Check into donating or volunteering at a local soup kitchen, food pantry or homeless shelter.

We can’t solve homelessness but we can take care of God’s children.

 

#dailybreadbykitty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

peace

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be a...