Wednesday, February 17, 2021

ashes

Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones you have crushed rejoice. Hide your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity. Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

- Psalm 51:7-10

 

Today is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent.

Lent is not specifically mentioned in the Bible, nor is it observed by all religions, but the concept is one that we should consider.

Lent is the period of 40 days before Easter, not counting Sundays that is supposed to focus on repentance, fasting and reflection, it represents the time that Christ spent in the wilderness where he was tempted by the devil as He fasted. 

Depending on which religion you practice, you may give something up or refrain from something for the 40 days, as a sign of sacrifice and self-discipline – Jesus gave up His life for me, I can go without chocolate for 40 days. 

It’s not quite the same, but some people feel that depriving themselves of something that they love is today’s answer to fasting.

Regardless of whether you do or don’t abandon something you really enjoy or depend on for Lent, you should still reflect on the meaning of the season.

Jesus was nailed to a cross, suffered and died for us.

For you.

For me.

He died so that our sins could be washed away, but we still have to repent of the sin and we have to stop sinning.

Pray, fast, repent, reflect, do whatever you want but find a way for the next 40 days to invite Jesus to live in your heart and fill you with His spirit.     

 

#dailybreadbykitty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

peace

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be a...