Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Mayday, mayday, mayday


Hear my prayer, Lord; listen to my cry for mercy.  When I am in distress, I call to you, because you answer me.
- Psalm 86:6-7

Today is May Day, often celebrated with baskets of flowers and candy, may poles and dancing.
I had suspected but did not know for sure that the celebration of “May Day” had pagan roots, so of course, I consulted “the Googles”.
It is always an adventure in the Googles.
I found that May Day has several roots including the Celtic festival of Beltane, the Germanic festival of Walpugis Night, the Wiccan anticipation of Summer Solstice, the list is quite extensive.
Something else interesting is that the word “Mayday” is an international distress signal, always repeated three times in a row to indicate clearly that the situation is a life threatening emergency and is derived from the French word “m’aidez” which means “help me”.  
Help me.
How many times have we cried out to God when we needed Him?
I found this quote to be appropriate:
The most difficult situations we face can become doorways to a deeper relationship with our Lord. This begins when we call on Him to help us in our trouble, and also to lead us each day in His way.” - David C. McCasland
God hears our cry. . .  and He answers.
Song reference:
 Oh, O'Lord O'Lord I know You hear my cry
Your love is lifting me above all the lies
No matter what I face this I know in time
You'll take all that is wrong and make it right
When we cry, perhaps we need to be still and listen for His answer.

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

peace

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be a...