Monday, December 12, 2022

Christmas cards

So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.

- 2 Thessalonians 2:15 (NIV)

 

Did you know there is such a thing as “Christmas Card Day”?

I didn’t know this until last Friday, which was “Christmas Card Day”. 

I must be honest, I have not sent out Christmas cards since around 2006, after we moved into the house we are in now. 

Prior to that I did all the traditional stuff: the photo card, the Christmas letter, goodness I even had a Microsoft Access database with addresses so I could print mailing labels. 

Over the years I noticed a trend though, it felt like the Christmas letters I received were no longer family updates to stay connected, but suddenly they had become superficial – many gave off ‘my family is better than yours” vibes. 

I hated this.

I stopped sending cards and letters because it became a "have to" instead of a "want to" and I didn't enjoy it. 

The Bible is full of letters, the Bible is a love letter from God to His children.

I found this on the internet: In Deuteronomy 17:18-20 a king is commanded to write his own copy of God's Word so "that he may learn to fear the Lord his God." When we write something down, we are more likely to remember it and it even boosts our memory. God encourages people throughout the Bible to write, because when we write, we remember.

I have always been one to take notes, but I never really knew “why” I did it, now it makes sense!

So write your Christmas letters to remember what God has done for your family through the year, send the letters to proclaim the Good News, that Jesus was sent to save us, but don’t dwell on trying to write the perfect letter or get the perfect photo.

Take time to love on your family and share the letters from God, sharing His love with one another.

 

#dailybreadbykitty

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1167248103736801

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

peace

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be a...