Monday, September 10, 2018

I swear!


Again, you have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘Do not break your oath, but fulfill to the Lord the vows you have made.’ But I tell you, do not swear an oath at all: either by heaven, for it is God’s throne; or by the earth, for it is his footstool; or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the Great King. And do not swear by your head, for you cannot make even one hair white or black. All you need to say is simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.
– Matthew 5:33-37

How many times have you sworn that you would or would not do something?
I think it was the thing to do when I was a kid.
One of the songs played at my wedding was “I swear” by John Michael Montgomery.
I remember hearing the words “I swear to God” so many times and even though I did not have a relationship with God back then, I remember thinking that was not a good thing to say.
According to the Bible, it is NOT a good thing to say.
Words are words, we should be able to take a man at his word.
We should not make them swear an oath of any kind.
A simple yes or no to our inquiry is all we should need.

Have a blessed day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

peace

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be a...