Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Christmas carols

The Holy Spirit made it known to Simeon that he would not die before he had seen God’s Chosen One.

- Luke 2:26 (NLV)

 

What is your favorite part of the Christmas season?

Is it the lights and decorations, the parties and food or the gifts and time spent with family?

Ask me this and I will give you a different answer every day, but singing is likely to be my answer most of the time.

Let’s look at a few verses of a hymn written in the 17th or 18th century that we often sing as a carol:

O come, O come, Immanuel,

and ransom captive Israel

that mourns in lonely exile here

until the Son of God appear.

Rejoice! Rejoice! Immanuel

shall come to you, O Israel.

. . .

O come, O Bright and Morning Star,

and bring us comfort from afar!

Dispel the shadows of the night

and turn our darkness into light.

. . .

O come, O King of nations, bind

in one the hearts of all mankind.

Bid all our sad divisions cease

and be yourself our King of Peace.

Rejoice! Rejoice! Immanuel

shall come to you, O Israel.

Simeon was waiting to meet the Messiah, as he had been promised by God that he would not die until that happened.

I wonder, did Simeon sing a song like this?
Do we sing this song in anticipation of Christ’s return? 

I think that we should.  

 

#dailybreadbykitty

Daily Inspiration from the Bible

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

peace

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be a...