Tuesday, August 29, 2017

What is your excuse?

As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will send you out to fish for people.” At once they left their nets and followed him.
– Matthew 4:18-20 

Song reference!
I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow Jesus;
I have decided to follow Jesus;
No turning back, no turning back.

Tho' none go with me, I still will follow,
Tho' none go with me I still will follow,
Tho' none go with me, I still will follow;
No turning back, no turning back.

My cross I'll carry, till I see Jesus;
My cross I'll carry till I see Jesus,
My cross I'll carry till I see Jesus;
No turning, no turning back!

The world behind me, the cross before me,
The world behind me, the cross before me;
The world behind me, the cross before me;
No turning back, no turning back
.

That is a song I learned in Sunday school oh so many years ago (grin).
You know, it is crazy when you hear people say, “I’m not quite ready to follow Jesus.”
Um, what exactly are you waiting for?
“Life is too messy right now.”
“I am too busy”
“I just can’t get past the terrible life I’ve had.”
Look, Jesus never asked us to pull ourselves together, then follow Him.
Like the uneducated fishermen Simon and Andrew, Jesus called them to follow Him THEN he would make them fishers of men.
Jesus did not chose them for their intellect, for fishermen of that day were simple people.
He also did not chose them for their skill, for Jesus was about to redefine what fishing meant to these experienced fishermen.
He did not choose them for their perfect life, because these people were far from perfect.
Just. Like. Us.
What excuses do we make in not following Jesus?
It is neither our skill or lack of it that counts, but simply obeying when we hear the call.


Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

peace

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be a...