Wednesday, December 16, 2020

lights

No one lights a lamp and then covers it with a bowl or hides it under a bed. A lamp is placed on a stand, where its light can be seen by all who enter the house.

- Luke 8:16

 

My husband spoils me.

Growing up, my family never hung Christmas lights outside, in fact I don’t believe that we even had lights on our tree because my dad thought it was a fire hazard.

But my husband, he lets me go all out, he even helps me.

One year when we were living in Iowa, he helped me create a huge wooden sign for the roof of our front porch that said “Joy” on one side and “Peace” on the other.

The last few years, he has let me add one light up item per year, so maybe by the time we are 100, we will have the Griswold house!!! (Just kidding, I won’t go that far!)  

Why do we light up our houses?

If you google “why do people hang Christmas lights”, you will find about 26,300,000 results, one of the first results is This custom was borrowed from pagan yule rituals that celebrate the return of the light of the sun as the days grow longer after solstice” 

I am going to take this a step further . . .

The return of the Light.

Jesus is the Light of the world, and He came to save us.

Don’t hide the lights, let them shine bright for the whole world to see, and when someone asks you, tell them that it is to celebrate the return of the Light.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

peace

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be a...