Monday, August 24, 2026

traffic

Enthusiasm without knowledge is no good; haste makes mistakes.
- Proverbs 19:2 (NLT)
 
Driving in Northwest Arkansas is not for the faint of heart. I have come to the conclusion that if I make it to my destination without cussing somebody out, it was a good drive. Don't judge me. I'm working on it.
There always seems to be someone driving ten miles under the speed limit when I'm in a hurry, someone changing lanes without looking, someone riding my bumper, or someone who apparently believes a turn signal is optional equipment. And don't even get me started on the person who races around you just to end up sitting at the same red light.
But if I'm being fair, sometimes I'm the problem. Sometimes I didn't leave early enough. Sometimes I'm watching the clock. Sometimes I'm annoyed with someone for simply being in front of me because I've decided that where I need to go is more important than whatever they're doing. And all that rushing usually saves me what—two minutes?
Proverbs tells us that haste makes mistakes. That's true behind the wheel, but it's also true in life. We live in a world that constantly tells us to hurry. Hurry to work. Hurry home. Hurry through dinner. Hurry to the next appointment, the next accomplishment, the next season of life. Even when we aren't physically going anywhere, our minds can be racing ahead to whatever comes next. But what are we missing because we're so determined to get there?
Sometimes slowing down isn't about the speedometer. Sometimes it's taking a moment before responding when someone makes us angry. It's praying before making a decision instead of rushing into one. It's giving someone a little grace because we don't know what they're carrying. It's recognizing that being delayed isn't the same thing as being harmed. And maybe it's remembering that God isn't only concerned with where we're going. He's concerned with who we're becoming on the way there.
There will always be another slow driver. Another red light. Another interruption. Another person who doesn't move according to our timetable. We can spend the entire journey frustrated that everyone else is in our way, or we can slow down enough to recognize that the journey is part of where God is working in us.
The goal isn't simply to get there quickly. It's to get there safely, faithfully, and without allowing the journey to turn us into someone we don't particularly like.
And if I can manage that without cussing anyone out? Well...I'd call that a pretty good drive.
 
#dailybreadbykitty
Daily Inspiration from the Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

traffic

Enthusiasm without knowledge is no good; haste makes mistakes. - Proverbs 19:2 (NLT)   Driving in Northwest Arkansas is not for the faint of...