Friday, August 7, 2026

legacy

We will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, his power, and the wonders he has done.
-  Psalm 78:4 (NIV)
 
And just like that... it is Friday again. As I sat down to write this week, I realized something I hadn't planned. Every devotion this week came from my family in Iowa. One verse was suggested by my sister-in-law. Another by my mother-in-law. The stories came from my father-in-law's backyard, my brother-in-law's work at Bible camp, and a road trip home with my amazing husband. At first, I thought I was simply writing about our weekend together. Then I realized I was writing about something much bigger.
I was writing about legacy. Not a legacy measured in dollars or possessions. A legacy measured in faith. A family that has chosen, day after day, year after year, to build their lives on the foundation of Jesus Christ.
When I think about them, I don't think about the things they own. I think about a man who faithfully feeds God's creatures because he knows they matter to their Creator. I think about a woman whose first response is, "Here's a verse that encouraged me." I think about a man who quietly picks up a rock and pulls weeds because he serves the Lord, not people. I think about a sister who reminds me that our days are precious and should be lived wisely.
Those moments may seem ordinary. But ordinary faithfulness, repeated over a lifetime, becomes an extraordinary legacy.
Psalm 78:4 says, "We will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, his power, and the wonders he has done."
As I read those words, I realized that's exactly what I've experienced. No one in this family has ever preached a sermon to me. They've simply lived one. Their faith isn't something they put on for Sunday mornings. It's found in the everyday moments—in conversations around the kitchen table, in caring for God's creation, in serving without seeking recognition, in sharing Scripture, in working with excellence, and in loving one another well. That's the kind of faith that quietly shapes children, grandchildren, friends... and daughters-in-law. It's the kind of faith that points people to Jesus without ever demanding attention.
As I look back over this week, I'm thankful not only for the stories we shared, but for the people who inspired them. Their example reminds me that the greatest inheritance we can leave isn't a house, a bank account, or a collection of possessions. It's a life that consistently reflects Christ.
So as you head into the weekend, remember this: The legacy we leave isn't built in the extraordinary moments. It's built in the ordinary moments that we faithfully give to God.
 
#dailybreadbykitty
Daily Inspiration from the Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

legacy

We will tell the next generation the praiseworthy deeds of the Lord, his power, and the wonders he has done. -  Psalm 78:4 (NIV)   And jus...