Rejoice
always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s
will for you in Christ Jesus.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16–18 (NIV)
And just like that...it's Friday again. Looking back over this
week's "Daily Breads", I noticed something I hadn't planned. Not much
went according to plan.
We've spent a couple of years looking for a church home we thought would be easier to find.
We spent sixteen exhausting hours moving our kids on one of the hottest days of the year.
A tiny bird landed right in the middle of those moving plans and needed a little help.
Then there were broken coolers and missing coffee ingredients.
None of those things went exactly the way I would have chosen. And yet, it was still a good week.
First Thessalonians tells us to rejoice, pray continually, and give thanks in all circumstances.
Not for all circumstances. In them.
I can be thankful while we're still searching because God is with us in the search. I can be thankful for sore muscles because they mean our kids are closer. I can be thankful for the tiny interruption that reminded me God can see what I can't. And yes, I can apparently even find something to be thankful for when they are out of the coffee.
Maybe I've been measuring good days by the wrong standard. A good day doesn't require everything to go right. A good week doesn't require everything to happen according to plan. And a good life certainly doesn't require the absence of inconvenience, disappointment, or change. It simply requires us to keep looking for God in the middle of it all. And when we do, we may discover there was a lot more good in our week than we realized.
#dailybreadbykitty
Daily Inspiration from the Bible
- 1 Thessalonians 5:16–18 (NIV)
We've spent a couple of years looking for a church home we thought would be easier to find.
We spent sixteen exhausting hours moving our kids on one of the hottest days of the year.
A tiny bird landed right in the middle of those moving plans and needed a little help.
Then there were broken coolers and missing coffee ingredients.
None of those things went exactly the way I would have chosen. And yet, it was still a good week.
First Thessalonians tells us to rejoice, pray continually, and give thanks in all circumstances.
Not for all circumstances. In them.
I can be thankful while we're still searching because God is with us in the search. I can be thankful for sore muscles because they mean our kids are closer. I can be thankful for the tiny interruption that reminded me God can see what I can't. And yes, I can apparently even find something to be thankful for when they are out of the coffee.
Maybe I've been measuring good days by the wrong standard. A good day doesn't require everything to go right. A good week doesn't require everything to happen according to plan. And a good life certainly doesn't require the absence of inconvenience, disappointment, or change. It simply requires us to keep looking for God in the middle of it all. And when we do, we may discover there was a lot more good in our week than we realized.
Daily Inspiration from the Bible
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.