Tuesday, August 4, 2026

squirrels

 The Lord is good to all; He has compassion on all He has made.
- Psalm 145:9 (NIV)
 
I'll admit it—not everyone loves cats as much as I do, and that's okay. My wonderful mother- and father-in-law have a different soft spot. They love squirrels. For as long as I can remember, Dad has kept the bird feeders full and made sure the squirrels in the backyard had something to eat. Over the years they've watched countless furry visitors come and go, but this year two of them have become something like old friends.
There's Charlie. Charlie has become brave enough to walk right up onto the front porch and gently take a peanut from their fingers. Then there's Chicken. Chicken isn't quite as adventurous. He won't come onto the porch while Mom and Dad are outside, but if the peanut dish is empty, he'll come right up to the door as if to say, "Excuse me... I think you forgot something!" I loved hearing the stories about Charlie and Chicken this weekend. Their little personalities make me smile, but they also remind me of something much bigger.
Psalm 145 tells us that "The Lord is good to all; he has compassion on all he has made." God's compassion isn't reserved for people alone. Throughout Scripture we see Him caring for all of His creation, and I love seeing that same compassion reflected in people like Mom and Dad as they faithfully care for the birds and squirrels that visit their yard.
Charlie and Chicken may just be simple squirrels, but they know where to find someone who cares for them. And when I think about it, so do we.
Sometimes God's care comes through answered prayers. Sometimes it comes through family, friends, or even the unexpected kindness of a stranger. A comforting word, an encouraging smile, a meal shared, a helping hand—God often chooses ordinary people to demonstrate His extraordinary love.
For Charlie, love might look like a handful of peanuts waiting on the porch.
For us, it may be a kind word spoken at just the right moment or someone showing up when we need them most.
Every act of compassion, no matter how small, reflects the heart of our Creator. We never know when a simple act of kindness might remind someone that they are seen, loved, and cared for.
So today, be someone's peanut. You might be the very reminder they needed that God hasn't forgotten them. 
 
#dailybreadbykitty
Daily Inspiration from the Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

squirrels

  The Lord is good to all; He has compassion on all He has made. - Psalm 145:9 (NIV)   I'll admit it—not everyone loves cats as much as ...