Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the
vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there
are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the
Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior.
- Habakkuk 3:17-18 (NIV)
There is just something about coffee in Iowa. Most people
probably won't understand that, but for me, that first cup of coffee at my
in-laws' house is pure peace.
From the family room table, I can look out over what we affectionately call "the jungle." My father-in-law faithfully keeps the bird feeders full, so there is always something to watch. Birds flit from branch to branch, squirrels put on their daily acrobatic show, and every now and then another woodland visitor (even cats!) makes an appearance. Inside, the house is filled with the smell of fresh coffee while my mother-in-law is already in the kitchen baking or preparing one of the family recipes we've all come to love.
It's one of my favorite places in the world.
I'm probably never moving back to Iowa, but I treasure every visit.
Over the years, I've been blessed to see every season from that same window. I've watched snow blanket the trees at Christmas, admired the blossoms of spring, enjoyed the lush green days of summer, and smiled as autumn painted the landscape in brilliant shades of gold and crimson. Each season has its own kind of beauty.
Some years, though, we haven't been able to make the trip. COVID kept us home one year. Surgery kept us home another. Those were disappointing seasons, especially when our hearts longed to be with family. But those missed trips also reminded me that joy isn't found in a place or a schedule. It's found in the God who faithfully walks with us wherever we are.
Habakkuk understood that kind of faith. He wrote about empty fields, missing crops, and seasons that looked anything but hopeful. Yet in the middle of it all, he declared, "Yet I will rejoice in the Lord."
That's the kind of faith I want. A faith that gives thanks when the trip happens and a faith that still gives thanks when it doesn't.
Because my joy isn't rooted in perfect plans, favorite places, or familiar traditions - it's rooted in a faithful God who never changes.
Whether I'm sipping coffee in Iowa, sitting on my own back porch in Arkansas, or simply remembering the blessings of years gone by, I know this: God has been good in every season.
And He will be good in the seasons still to come.
#dailybreadbykitty
Daily Inspiration from the Bible
- Habakkuk 3:17-18 (NIV)
From the family room table, I can look out over what we affectionately call "the jungle." My father-in-law faithfully keeps the bird feeders full, so there is always something to watch. Birds flit from branch to branch, squirrels put on their daily acrobatic show, and every now and then another woodland visitor (even cats!) makes an appearance. Inside, the house is filled with the smell of fresh coffee while my mother-in-law is already in the kitchen baking or preparing one of the family recipes we've all come to love.
It's one of my favorite places in the world.
I'm probably never moving back to Iowa, but I treasure every visit.
Over the years, I've been blessed to see every season from that same window. I've watched snow blanket the trees at Christmas, admired the blossoms of spring, enjoyed the lush green days of summer, and smiled as autumn painted the landscape in brilliant shades of gold and crimson. Each season has its own kind of beauty.
Some years, though, we haven't been able to make the trip. COVID kept us home one year. Surgery kept us home another. Those were disappointing seasons, especially when our hearts longed to be with family. But those missed trips also reminded me that joy isn't found in a place or a schedule. It's found in the God who faithfully walks with us wherever we are.
Habakkuk understood that kind of faith. He wrote about empty fields, missing crops, and seasons that looked anything but hopeful. Yet in the middle of it all, he declared, "Yet I will rejoice in the Lord."
That's the kind of faith I want. A faith that gives thanks when the trip happens and a faith that still gives thanks when it doesn't.
Because my joy isn't rooted in perfect plans, favorite places, or familiar traditions - it's rooted in a faithful God who never changes.
Whether I'm sipping coffee in Iowa, sitting on my own back porch in Arkansas, or simply remembering the blessings of years gone by, I know this: God has been good in every season.
And He will be good in the seasons still to come.
Daily Inspiration from the Bible
No comments:
Post a Comment
Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.