Tuesday, October 6, 2026

masks

But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”
- 1 Samuel 16:7 (NIV)
 
October is here, and everywhere you look there are pumpkins, skeletons and spiderwebs. Parents are planning costumes, churches and organizations are getting ready for trunk-or-treat events, and before long hordes of little superheroes, princesses, dinosaurs and who-knows-what-else will be holding out buckets asking for candy.
Wearing a costume for an evening can be fun.
But sometimes I wonder how many costumes we wear when it isn’t Halloween. “I’m fine.” “I’ve got it handled.” “Nothing bothers me.” “My faith is strong.”
We can become pretty good at showing people the version of ourselves we want them to see. And there’s nothing wrong with privacy—we don’t owe everyone our entire story. But there’s a difference between privacy and pretending.
Samuel was looking at outward appearances when God reminded him that He sees something different. He looks at the heart. That means there is one place we never need a costume. With God, we don’t have to pretend we aren’t hurting, questioning, struggling, angry or afraid. He already knows what’s underneath the mask. And He isn’t waiting for some polished version of us to show up.
He wants us.
Costumes are fun for October. But when you come before God, leave the mask at the door.
 
#dailybreadbykitty
Daily Inspiration from the Bible

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts, but please also be respectful.

masks

But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things pe...